Archive for January, 2012
[By Thomas Merton]
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
[Based on Psalm 90 and the work of John Ballie]
O LORD, through all the generations, You have been our home! Before the mountains were created, before you gave birth to the world, from everlasting to everlasting–You are God! You are not visible to our eyes and we cannot comprehend You with our minds. Your thoughts are infinitely higher than our thoughts and your ways are beyond our understanding. Yet…
- You have made us in Your image.
- You have breathed into us Your Spirit.
- You have given us life both physical and spiritual.
- You have given us the desire to know You.
- You have inclined our hearts to love You.
- You have put a thirst in our souls to know You.
- You have made us restless until we rest in You.
- You have given us a dissatisfaction with this world and a longing for the next.
- You alone know what lies in me and beyond me.
- Let me embark on no undertaking that displeases You.
- Let me not shrink back from sacrifice nor be insensitive to the needs of others.
- Let me take no step without Your direction.
- Let me engage in no endeavor without Your blessing. In Jesus name I pray, Amen!
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Amen!
Clear me O God of hidden faults. Keep back your servant from presumptuous sins, from having proud and insolent thoughts; do not let them have dominion over me. By your grace I shall be declared blameless and by your grace, I shall be proclaimed innocent of transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be acceptable to You, O LORD my rock and redeemer. Amen!